- The reconstruction of Broadway Avenue (from Civic Center Drive to 13th Street North) will begin the transformation of the Broadway Avenue corridor into a significant multi-modal gateway to downtown Rochester and the Destination Medical Center (DMC) Development District. The project will address aging pavement, safety, and mobility for all users.
- Planning for the project began in 2017 and resulted in a City Council approved project layout, which can be viewed here. For more information on past planning for the project, see the “Get Involved” page.
- Project bids were received in late February 2021 and the City Council awarded a contract to Elcor Construction at the March 15, 2021 meeting. Construction is currently underway. See the “Construction” and “Latest News” pages for more information.
This project will:
- Replace 80+ years old water main, storm sewer, and sanitary sewers underneath North Broadway Avenue.
- Improve the pavement surface via a full roadway reconstruction of North Broadway and several sections of intersecting streets.
- Fully reconstruct the North-South alleys immediately adjacent to North Broadway within the project area.
- Create a safer corridor for travel with the construction of medians between intersections and modifying access to private driveways.
- Improve pedestrian access and walkways in the corridor.
- Construct off-street bicycle facilities.
- Improve the aesthetics of the corridor.
Sign up for emails
• Aging pavement
• Mobility for all users
• Pedestrian and bike facilities
• Visual identity – Gateway to Downtown
• Transit facilities and access
Cory Penz, Access Manager
Matt Smith, Project Manager
Josh Fjetland, Lead Inspector
City of Rochester
Jaymi Wilson, Business Liaison
City of Rochester