Public involvement provides the public and state and federal agencies with continuing opportunities to be involved in the development of the vision for the airport for the next 20 years. Making timely, accurate, and useful information available to key decision makers and the general public will help to achieve the following goals and objectives of public involvement:
- Inform, obtain input, and gain support on the planning process and ultimately establish a foundation of understanding with the public and local, state, and federal agencies in regards to the identified needs associated with the future airport projects.
- Enable effective identification and prioritization of projects based on identified airport user needs to support long-range planning for the airport.
- The intended outcome of the Airport Master Plan process for the airport is informed agreement among decision makers and the public on the vision established for the 20 year plan for the airport.
Master Plan Advisory Group (MPAG) – Provides input on information being considered and findings being developed throughout the Airport Master Plan process. The MPAG will help assess airport planning considerations and user needs and act as a sounding board for proposed development alternatives. All members will base their review on the role they play within the community. The MPAG includes representatives from Willmar including the City Manager and Economic Development Administrator, the Airport Operations Specialist, Airport Commission member, airport tenant, and an airport neighbor.
- Public information meetings – Forum to gather input and inform the broader public and other stakeholders on the progress of the Airport Master Plan.
- Meetings with local landowners & residents – The Willmar Airport Commission and staff have a strong commitment to get to know the potentially affected stakeholders, to listen and understand their perspectives, to generate alternative solutions, and to articulate and clarify the key planning considerations. Willmar Municipal Airport and consultant staff will be meeting one-on-one and in small groups with local landowners and residents to better understand local perspectives and to receive input.
- Airport Commission Updates/Meetings – Regular updates to the Airport Commission on key information and the status of the planning process will be conducted.
To learn more about the status of the project, meetings conducted, and documents prepared for the project, please see the Project Status and Meetings tab.
Senior Aviation Planner
Bolton & Menk, Inc.
2040 Highway 12 East
Willmar, MN 56201
Megan M. DeSchepper, AICP
City Office Building
333 6th Street SW
Willmar, MN 56201