ABOUT THE PROJECT
Scott County, in coordination with the City of Prior Lake and the Minnesota Department of Transportation, is planning intersection improvements on County Highway (CH) 21 and State Highway (TH) 13 in Downtown Prior Lake. This intersection has been identified as needing improvement due primarily to mobility concerns, but also in regards to safety concerns associated with existing and forecasted traffic.
The project will evaluate potential improvements to intersections in close proximity to the CH 21/TH 13 intersection, in particular CH 21/Main Avenue. It will also take into consideration traffic impacts on surrounding streets, including impacts on pedestrian safety and accessibility.
The focus of this effort will be on Downtown Prior Lake, with a corridor visioning exercise completed for the longer segment of CH 21 from CH 82/154th Street to Franklin Trail. The Corridor Visioning Study will help to identify how the intersection reconstruction project can holistically fit into the future vision of the corridor and its surroundings.
The long-term corridor improvements developed through this project will reflect the transportation needs of both the region and the local community. Efforts will include:
- Establishing the goals and objectives for the corridor
- Defining the issues and potential opportunity areas
- Developing and evaluating potential infrastructure improvement alternatives
- Reaching consensus on recommendations
- Enhance vehicle mobility on major transportation corridors
- Maintain and enhance local roadway system
- Safely accommodate all users along the major transportation corridors
- Provide a comprehensive network for nonmotorized transportation that is compatible with the major transportation corridors
- Provide infrastructure improvements compatible with the natural and human environment
- Develop a financially responsible infrastructure implementation plan
- Preserve and enrich the character of Downtown Prior Lake