What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan defines the vision, goals and aspirations for the long-term development and redevelopment of the community. The plan is intended to shape land use and transportation patterns, conserve natural resources, and identify needs for utilities, housing and parks and open space. The Comprehensive Plan also guides decisions on both public and private investments in infrastructure and facilities.
The City of Scandia Comprehensive Plan addresses the following:
- Future Land Use
- Housing Needs
- Natural Resources
- Public and Individual Utilities
- Parks and Trails
- Economic Opportunities
Why Update the Comprehensive Plan?
State law requires all municipalities in the 7-county metropolitan area update their Comprehensive Plans at least every 10 years. Local plans must align with the Metropolitan Council’s regional system plans related to highways, transit, airports, wastewater services, parks and open space. An updated plan must be submitted for Metropolitan Council review by December 31, 2018.
The City Council authorized submittal of the Comprehensive Plan to the Metropolitan Council on December 18, 2018, and the Plan was submitted on December 26, 2018. The Metro Council will conduct its review over the next several months. We are expecting final approval by May, 2019. You can view the submitted Comprehensive Plan below. This is a large document, so it may take some time to load.
- Appendix A Scandia Survey Results
- Appendix B Focus Group Notes
- Appendix C Comprehensive Trails Master Plan Report
- Appendix D BMPR Official Map
- Appendix E Access Guidlines
- Appendix F Ordinance No. 189
- Appendix G Appendix-G-Action-Plan-Worksheets
- Appendix H Local Water Management Plan
- Appendix I Comment Tracker
- Appendix J Reports and Resolutions